I had a dream. It plays into my perfection tendencies– this idea that in order to sit and read a book, I needed this ideal setting, sitting solitary in a sun-filled room, nursing a warm cup of coffee. As a homeschooling mom with three rambunctious boys, this was an unrealistic fantasy.
Now that my tweedles are all bonafide readers, reality has become even more amazing than that silly fantasy. We start our mornings with 20-30 minutes sitting in a sun-soaked room reading quietly, but together. I do sip a cup of coffee while I read, but I also get to listen to little fingers turning pages, or my youngest declaring, “I’m on chapter 5!”
Life is so much like a good book. You read the back cover and you have an idea of what it holds in store for you, but with every turn if the pages comes a new character you didn’t expect, a new twist you didn’t anticipate, or a character who behaves in a way that could never have imagined. You giggle, you cry, you may even get mad, but you keep going. Usually, by the time you get to that last page, you are satisfied that everything worked out the way it did. You are content with the author’s decisions because you realize that everything had to happen for a reason.
You can’t change the past, but you can realign your expectations, and that is exactly what I’ve had the pleasure of doing. This new chapter is different than what I wanted or expected, but I make the most of it. And in that new chapter are amazing little blessings– like sitting with my little loves reading together.
Meet the Wannabe Writer
- Sitting at the park enjoying 63 sunny South Carolina degrees with a book while the Tweedles play. #LifeIsGood 4 years ago
- @piersmorgan Maybe we should just make murder illegal... Ban all murders. That oughta do the trick, right? 4 years ago
- @JeffreyGoldberg Universities seem to manage it... 4 years ago
- Argh! I'm SO late! #fridayreads Every Young Man's Battle. 4 years ago
- You probably know 1 of the 7.3 mill woman battling infertility. They need to read #FundamentallyFlawed by @JoselynHasty goo.gl/rDiTU 4 years ago